Tuesday 23 December 2008

Homeward Bound

Leaving Bath on the 21st of December, having tidied up the house, and given it a good airing, I was all set for Christmas at home.

For the first 50mins (approx) of the 3 hour (approx) journey in the Renault Clio, we listened to These are the Vistas, an early album by The Bad Plus. This album (2003), is not brilliant. It is very 'samey' and a lot of the tunes are just plain dull. However, there are a few brighter points to the album; I like the ending section in 7 on their cover of 'Heart of Glass' (blondie), and the cover of Flim (Aphex Twin) is good for the first few listens, however the original is better. The final song on the album (not including Bonus Tracks) 'Silence is the Question' is the best track on the album by far, in fact it is one of my favourite Bad Plus pieces. Other favourites include Prehensile Dream & Chariots of Fire (both off Suspicious Activity? (2005) a far superior album). I urge you to listen.

After stopping at the services for a BLT and an Appletiser, and to get some Wine Gums (I like the red ones) for the road, we proceeded homeward, although soon after departure, I fell asleep. Waking up promptly at the Charterhouse Road BP where we were filling up the car. I used the last few minutes of the journey to return to full awareness in time to carry my clothes in.

Since home and unpacked I have eaten well, scored 175 (getting a spare or strike on each bowl bar one) in Orpington Superbowl, been disheartened by the shoddy internet connection provided by Virgin Media, watched Truman Show and Ice Age (The Coolest Event In 16,000 Years), had a bath, drank Ribena, spent £20, eaten two grapes, and played a D7 chord on a piano. It's shaping up to be a great Christmas.

No comments: