Monday 15 December 2008

Dermot Oh Jesus! What a load of Piss....

This blog is coming at you directly from Devon. Life in Bath is normally quite busy, and members of the house in which I reside do not normally have the television projecting itself a lot of the time. Since it's Christmas (as Cliff would probably love to remind us), or certainly within the season thereof, Devon is my place of residence at present. Here, the television is projecting a lot of the time.

Firstly, I want to cover "The X Factor". Now I know millions of people can't be wrong, but they're definitely wrong. Carl Orff would surely turn in his grave at the notion of his scenic cantata "Carmina Burana" being linked with such mind-numbing filth. There must be a better way of finding 'talent'...

Secondly, the schedule for the Christmas period proved fruitless in terms of quality films. I've yet to see one film scheduled that is supported by Thomas Newman's score; instead, Adam Sandler's entire back catalogue and "The Core"; a delightful apocalyptic romp in the vein of such greats (read laced with irony) as Armageddon, Deep Impact and The Day After Tomorrow. With Hilary Swank. My favourite line so far is: "I hate this sky". Inspired writing.

Still, all is not lost, I was able to catch a repeat of Friends on E4 earlier.

No comments: