Monday 23 February 2009

Taxi!

Telephone Operator: Hello, Abbey Taxis...

Me: Hi there, could I get a Taxi from Third Avenue please?

TO: Yup sure, where are you heading?

Me: To the hospital, A&E please.

TO: Okay, I'll get a taxi sent to you now.

Me: Okay cool, thanks, bye.

TO: No problem, bye.

--------------------------------------------------

So far gripping stuff, but let me take you back to the beginning.

It was Wednesday 18th February. Pete, John, Oli and myself had met at Natwest at presicely 11am. (Although I had woken up late which meant Pete, John and myself were about 15 minutes late.) We spent approximately 20 minutes inside the bank sorting out accounts etc, and then headed to WHSmiths for earplugs.

Although it was not my plan for that day, I decided I needed at least some form of hearing protection that wasn't in the form of a disposable ear plug, and bought the reuseable pair from WHSmiths for £6.99 Sterling. So far my day had been a productive one.

After purchasing a BLT, Guardian, and 750ml of Coke from the local Waitrose, and then proceeding to eat/drink (I saved the paper for home) the Sandwich (5/10) and Coke (7/10 - refreshing but I worry about my teeth), we wandered home.

The journey home was uneventful.

--------------------------------------------------

Alex: Hey...

Me: Alex, have you got any tweezers?

Alex: Yeah why?

Me: Could you bring them over now please?

Alex: Okay, are you alrite? What have you done?

Me: I'll tell you when you get here. Bye.

Alex: Okay, I'll be about 5 minutes, just got to get ready. Bye

-------------------------------------------------------

Pete was upstairs, Myself, down. I was in my chair, at my desk, when I remembered the earplugs, I thought I'd test them out. I retrieved them from my bag, at the same time fishing the paper out (saves me doing it later) and put both on the desk.

Top drawer, scissors, snip, ear plugs are out of the packaging. What do I have:

Two Ear plugs
Two Yellow Pegs (already inserted into the ear plugs)
Two White Pegs
Instructions (won't be needing them)

I put the earplugs in my ears, no problem there, they fitted well enough, and they were blocking out some of the sound waves reverberating around the house. All in all, on par. At this point I started to wonder what the white pegs were doing there.

--------------------------------------------------

Nurse: Do you want to keep that?

Me: No.

--------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned before, included in the handy, zip-up case for the earplugs were a set of instructions. Before reading these (I still haven't), I came to the conclusion the white peg must go in the end of the ear plug, not, as I now realise, in place of the yellow pegs.

--------------------------------------------------

Man Behind Desk: Hi, can I help you?

Me: Basically, I've got something stuck in my ear...

--------------------------------------------------

No comments: