Tuesday 10 February 2009

FairTrade?

I ran out of Coffee a few days ago. I'm not an excessive drinker; I have maybe 2 or 3 cups a day, less if I'm busy (a little milk and 1.75 sugars please). A good coffee should fulfil a few criteria:
-Smell good when you open the packet
-Smell good when you pour in the hot (not boiling) water
-Taste good when you drink it

Not too much to ask is it?

Well, I went shopping with a mind to buy around 200 grams of Instant Coffee granules. Obviously you've got Nescafe, they're a safe bet. But a Co-Op own brand of FairTrade Coffee caught my attention, at a price considerably better than Nescafe or any other brands (Kenco etc.).

Now I agree with the principle of FairTrade produce, it's win-win in my book - a little starving feller in Africa gets a little extra for his Coffee beans, and I can be a little smug cos I've helped out a little starving feller in Africa. However, if the Coffee tastes average (at best), I've a good mind to go over and find the starving feller and ask him where he gets off giving me shitty produce.

The Coffee did not smell even good when I opened the jar, it did not smell good when I poured it, and tasted average, bordering on bland. For it to be a FairTrade, surely these Africans should be holding up their side of the bargain? I should add that Isaac has made it clear that he enjoyed both sets of aroma and also the taste, but he's not tried Nescafe recently; in short, his opinion is worthless here, like the Coffee.

If it had been the other way round, and us Europeans were exploiting Africans there'd be an uproar. It's positive discrimination, political correctness gone mad. I've a good mind to get Nelson Mandela on the phone and ask him "What's happened to the Coffee?". Let's force an ultimatum: Sort out the Coffee or we'll stop sending the goats.

No comments: