Thursday 27 November 2008

Only Connect

I am currently putting my broadband to good use by streaming (in high quality) a show that goes by the title 'Only Connect'. As the British Broadcasting Corporation put it, the programme is a:

"Quiz show presented by Victoria Coren in which knowledge will only take you so far, as patience and lateral thinking are also vital. It is all about making connections between things which may appear, at first glance, not to be connected at all."


Sounds exciting? Well it's not.

Episode number 11: Bankers vs. ICT Consultants.

My first problem lies with Victoria Coren herself. She has also presented a very dull and laborious show based on the idea of finding more information on words recently added to the dictionary. As far as I know my family were the only people who knew of the show's existance. It was aired on BBC4 about 2 years ago if you're interested.

Only Connect is very up-itself; during the first couple of rounds, the two teams pick their 'questions' (connection puzzles) from a choice of 6 Greek letters. I like to play my own little game with this part of the show by trying to guess which of the symbols represents the Greek letter chosen.

Morag Traynor was the third player for the ICT Consultants and, with thanks to her name, the most interesting part of the 29 minute (including credits and title sequences) episode.

This is the second episode I've seen (I was giving it another chance) and both have ended in a tie-break. At least there's some excitement?

Final Score: Bankers 14 - ICT Consultants 13

No comments: